Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Waiting for Mehemmed

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 - 3:15 p.m.

I am hanging out in my hotel waiting for my Top 50 teacher friend from Uzbekistan to arrive.  He may be staying at my hotel, so I wanted to help him get settled.  He was worried because he couldn't find a hotel for US$20-32/night.  (I don't think there is such a thing.)  He explained that in Uzbekistan teachers make VERY little money, and he doesn't even have a credit card.  His name is Mehammed.

Soon, I will board the metro for United Arab Emirates mall, at which point I have to take a cab to a place called Studio City, where I'm meeting the woman I'll be staying with from Wed-Mon. for dinner    at 5:15.  Someone asked why I am going out to dinner so early; apparently folks here eat dinner at 7 or 8.

This morning I went to the Dubai Museum.  I walked a half a mile or so, took a ferry across the river and walked another 1/2 mile.  The museum was excellent; it depicted how people lived here from the 40's up through today.  I met an Indian man on the ferry who told me he moved here in the 70's and there was nothing here at all.  Then the whole city was built up.  Now it's all skyscrapers and honking cars and people moving about everywhere like ants....a bit like India.

On the way home I took some great shots of the harbor from the ferry, with an old, white-bearded Muslim who did not know he was posing for me!

This computer is funny about importing pictures, so some may not be in the order of what I'm talking about today.

 This is Mustafa, my "guide"

This is one of the rug salesmen.

Add caption


This is the man I bought the abaya (traditional Arabic dress) from yesterday.


This is the jewelry man, where I bought some of the crosses



















This is a traditional home in Dubai, back in the day (40s?)








No comments:

Post a Comment